About the Véssey family in a few sentences

The first landowner family might have got this land as a gift from King László IV in 1283 and they adopted the name of the village (Vesse) Vése. The members of the family became Lutheran at the time of the Reformation and many times they happened to wed from other counties because they preferred spouses from the same religion. From 1781 the freer practice of religion made it possible for the members of the Véssey family to hold public and religious positions. During the War of Independence in 1848-49 Véssey Márton was unfaithful to the Austrian Emperor, thus the family had to withdraw from the public life of the county.

The history of the Véssey family


The first valid data about the village is from 1284. The then queen consort, Erzsébet (King László IV''''''''s mother) gave these lands to Tamás, the bishop from Vác, and to his family. The family owned this land until the beginning of the 20th century and they used the Véssey surname, in this written form, from the 18th century. The village was called Vése already in the 1800''''''''s. The family spent most time in Sz?csény and their steward lived in Vése whose main job was supervising the work in the lands. Many of the Véssey relatives are buried in the local cemetery in the family vault. At the time of the Turkish Rule the Véssey family left the village for Szentivánfa (now Uraiújfalu) in Vas county and the village depopulated. The descendants of the former inhabitants and the Vésseys came back around 1700. The most notable member of the family was Véssey István who contributed to rebuild the institutions here and to bring back the population. He made an announcement in Szentivánfa in 1732 that he would make concessions to those who move to Vése.

Véssey Lajos, who died in 1860, had also an important status because he was a notary public of Somogy county.

Véssey Mihály, the eponym of the local school, spent his life here in the village and helped to improve it. His and the Berzseny family''''''''s donation made it possible to rebuild the evangelic church. He contributed to build a little school with two rooms in 1878. Due to the respect for Véssey Mihály, a street was named after him and a memorial was unveiled in the park of the local school. He was the last relative of the Véssey family who lived here permanently.